accepting the bad to get the good

It feels like Brooklynn has been sick for the majority of the past month and half and we’ve made more unscheduled doctor visits than I care to recount.  (We haven’t received any bills for these yet; although I’m not saying we would avoid going to see a medical professional at the sacrifice of our child’s health, I’m also not saying that the out-of-pocket cost when on a high-deductible health plan isn’t something that we don’t think about. (And if you can follow that many negatives in one sentence and still get my meaning, congratulations.)) At the last visit, just before we kicked of 2010, we found out she has an ear infection. I wasn’t surprised by this since I was pretty sure I also had an ear infection at the time and I seemed to have the same cold she did. If a tendency to be susceptible to ear infections is genetic (and we've heard it is), then this will not be the last time we take her in because she is rubbing her ears and showing eleveated temperatures.

I had ear infections as a child, and while I don’t remember all of them, they were often and severe enough that I had three rounds of tubes put in my ears. Yep, I was the kid who had to make sure he didn’t get water in his ears during showers and wore ear plugs to the pool. I also had an aversion to swallowing large pills, so I got mine crushed up in a spoonful of Gatorade. I don’t know if this has anything to do with the infections, but I’m just saying, if Brooklynn picks up tendencies from me, we have a long road ahead of us.

The doctor prescribed some antibiotics to help clear up the infection and gave us the go ahead to give her Motrin as well as Tylenol for the slight fever and ear pain. We were told that we should see improvement within 24 hours.

And we did. The coughing slowly subsided, the fevers stopped, and we got our normally happy and independent baby back. Now, you may ask yourself how independent can a 6-month old baby really be, and I grant you that she is a little time removed from staying home by herself and making microwave popcorn, but she will at least sit and play with some toys without constant attention.

At least, normally she will. Last week, if we tried to move anywhere but directly in front of her, like to get a tissue to wipe away the snot running down her face, she cried. If we left her in her crib just long enough to grab the medicine that was supposed to make her feel better, she cried.  And that has stopped. So yes, we saw quick improvement.

What the doctor didn’t tell us about was the fact that antibiotics and Motrin will grease up a digestive system as well. Literally. The first messy diaper after we started the medicine looked like it had been lubed up with a grease gun, allowing the second, runnier wave two to quickly slide up and out the back and onto her clothes and back and neck and near her shoulders…

All I will say is that it’s interesting trying to take a shirt off an infant without it actually touching her head and it was even more fun trying to clean water resistant poop out of a cloth diaper using water. Now you know why we have gone back to disposable diapers during the days until this medicine is done.

And why we hope that she poops at daycare so we don’t have to deal with it. (Sorry, Jamie.) Last report we heard was it took around 10 wipes to get all of the business down there fully cleaned out.

We go back this afternoon for the official 6-month checkup and vaccinations, so we get a freebie appointment to follow up on the ear infection status. And hopefully the infection is gone and we can end the medicine tomorrow as currently planned.  Keep your fingers crossed. Otherwise, I would not be surprised if our daycare rate mysteriously rose for a few weeks.