technical support is completed

So...  if you checked in earlier today and say my little message about me screwing stuff up on the back end of the site here - I think it's fixed. If you didn't see it, well, nothing went wrong in the first place. (But on the off chance it did, shoot me an email and let me know what errors you found).  I'd like to say the site should be a little faster than it has been in the future.  I sure seems to be from my end, and that's really what prompted some of the upgrades and changes I made that caused the mistake to begin with.

If you are wondering, I switched hosting providers, optimized my databases, did a fresh install, and upgraded the blog software on the backend.

Yeah, I didn't think you wanted to know either.